Pages

Friday, February 17, 2012

What a Hoot!

This has been a long week.  My son has been home sick from school for 3 days, and when he is home, I get nothing done!  Wait, now that I think about it I don’t get a lot done when he is at school either…but I could if I wanted to!  I have been stuck at home, unable to go thrift store shopping or to lunch with my friends.  I mean, how terrible is that?  Don’t you feel super sorry for me?  I even had to postpone a girls trip to Hobby Lobby!  :) 

I am totally kidding…well kind of, but it was a long week and I HATE to see my son sick.  Nothing is worse than having a sick child.  The only positive thing is that he was way cuddlier than usual!

All week I have been wanting to make a burlap owl, but just couldn’t seem to motivate myself and was busy taking care of my child.  Finally today, he was a little better and I found my motivation…yep with Hershey Kisses.  NO, I am NOT addicted to chocolate!  Sheesh, why would you think that?

This project was super easy, but it had a lot of little steps to it.  For some reason, I took a picture of each step and ended up with like 15 pictures!  Don’t worry, I won’t show you all the steps, just a few.  Coolio?

owl1      

Now, I am no artist so I needed some guidance in making my owl.  My sister-in-law, Robin, gave me this adorable owl cutting board for Christmas, that I used as a guide.  

Here is a list of things I used:

  • Burlap (which I did iron, ugh)
  • Cardboard
  • Scissors (mine are lame)
  • Adhesive spray
  • Felt – 3 different colors
  • A candy dish (to trace for the big round eyes, because I can not do perfect circles…I know it is hard to believe)
  • Buttons for the little eyes
  • Needle and thread
  • An orange sharpie (love sharpies)
  • Hot glue gun
  • A branch from outside
  • Yellow sticky stuff (no, that is not what it is called, but what I call it) to stick onto the walls

owl18

Here is my cute candy dish from Ikea, which may or may not have been full this morning!!! 

owl13

Notice my son’s owl drawing!  Not bad, huh?  I should have had him trace my owl. 

owl9

My amazing frame, which was already hanging on my wall, that I found at a thrift store for $2.50!!!  One of my best finds ever!  Holla!!! 

owl10

Okay, how totally cute is that?  It will probably go in my friend’s daughter’s room which we are redoing, but for now he is perched in my hall!

            owl19              

owl16

Making this was such a HOOT!  Yes…I know I am a dork!

                                                                         Pin It

Linked up to the following Linky Parties:

Not Just a Housewife

Blue Cricket Design

Oopsey Daisy

2 comments:

  1. Okay I just LOVVVVVVVE this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just TOO cute! I love the owl inside the frame! So smart and so creative! Thanks for sharing at oopsey daisy!

    ReplyDelete